Friday, April 14, 2017

Beautiful Redemption by Jamie McGuire Book Review

22717015
BLURB
If A Maddox boy falls in love, he loves forever. But what if he didn't love you, first? 

No-nonsense Liis Lindy is an agent of the FBI. Deciding she is married only to her job, she breaks off her engagement and transfers from Chicago to the field office in San Diego. She loves her desk. She is committed to her laptop. She dreams of promotions and shaking hands with the director after cracking an impossible case. 

Special Agent in Charge Thomas Maddox is arrogant, unforgiving, and ruthless. He is tasked with putting away some of the world’s toughest criminals, and he is one of the best the Bureau has to offer. Though, as many lives as he’s saved, there is one that is beyond his reach. Younger brother Travis is faced with prison time for his involvement in a basement fire that killed dozens of college students, and the media want a conviction. Travis’s only savior is his unusual tie to the mob. In a deal that will spare his brother, Thomas has agreed to recruit Travis into the FBI. 

Liis is stubborn, defiant, and yet somehow softens Thomas’s rough edges, making her the perfect agent to accompany him to the ceremony. Posing as a couple, they must travel to Travis & Abby’s beach vow renewal and give him the news, but when the pretending ends, she finds herself wondering if they were pretending at all. 

In the second installment of the Maddox Brothers books, experience firsthand the mysterious world of the elusive Thomas Maddox, and how good love can be when you’re not the first, but the last.

REVIEW
*THREE POINT FIVE OUT OF FIVE STARS*

I have been in the weirdest reading place. But I knew I was in a New Adult mood. So, I grabbed Beautiful Redemption while it was free--and it served its need.

Beautiful Redemption follows the Maddox Brothers. If you're not familiar with Travis Maddox in some capacity--whether you've read the book or not--you've been living under a rock my friend.

The Maddox brothers are kind of a angry bunch. They all have these inner issues to work out, but don't we all?

Anyway, Thomas Maddox works for the FBI. He's angry, and he's harsh to everyone in his path. He's resolute in his mission--and love is off the table. That is until Liis Lindy comes into the picture--shaking his very foundation.

Okay, so this book was totally unputdownable. I just couldn't seem to separate myself from this story. I was in a state of reader's bliss. I love a good back and forth. I really truly do. A romance is made better by hate. Weird, I know. But I love to see relationships turn around that way. This book was no exception. 

HOWEVER, what bothered me most was the fact that Liis wasn't very understanding. I am all for protecting your heart, but sometimes it's like--okay, already. You proved you're a tough chick who needs no man--but it gets tired--quickly.

And it did. Quickly. 

It didn't hinder my reading, but it did get on my nerves a bit. Another thing that was disappointing that dropped my rating was the ending. It was a bunch of chapters of no--and then the end was HEA out of like nowhere. I was like, huh? How, what? I did not like that. At all.

I mean if I were to round up how I felt, I was mostly pleased with this book. It had its faults but it's a decent NA, and I think readers will enjoy it!

4 comments:

  1. I missed the sale on this!! I have read the first couple in this series and enjoyed them enough. Glad this was solid too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snorts. The entire Maddox family is angry! I do like them, though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I nabbed it on sale (even though I already have the physical copy, because why not) but there's no telling when I'll get to it. I read Beautiful Disaster years ago but have yet to start the Maddox Brothers series. I love it when you're in the mood for a certain kind of book and it totally hits the spot. Reader heaven! Even though Liis sounds frustrating as hell, this still sounds like it totally fit the bill.

    Tanya @ GIRL PLUS BOOKS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wasn't sure if this one could be read without the first book but I may give it a go now. Either that or I'll bug my library to get the first one. :) Even though I have a feeling the parts you didn't like will have me feeling the same, you have me curious with the unputdownable part! Yep, need to read this series or this book at least.

    ReplyDelete